Tuesday, March 9, 2010

In the Sun



Baby One More Time” in 1960?


The video for She & Him's "In the Sun" premiered today on Pitchfork. It is a very pleasant song, and a feel-good video, but I have to admit, I am growing tired of current artistic endeavors exactly replicating previous decades. Don’t get me wrong, I love vintage ‘everything’, but it is much more exciting to find items and music created during the time, rather than acquiring something imitative in the present. Each decade before this one contains a great deal of inspiration that should be used to create something fresh and new, not to reproduce every detail that made it great. At this rate, in 50 years, artists and musicians will have no choice but to go further than the 21st century for inspiration.

3 comments:

  1. I posted this video to my blog before I even saw your tweet about your new blog post. Made me laugh.

    Anyway, I think I agree with what you're saying but because of how much I adore imitating what I love about the 50s and 60s, I can't say I mind it all that much.

    At the same time, I do long for some originality in the media these days. There just isn't anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so right! I want something new, something that's not taken or imitated. But as Caitlin says, I love the 50's and 60's, that I don't mind it that much. If you know what I mean.. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha I know where both of you are getting at. I think pieces of inspiration are fine, but when an entire video is imitating a decade, without any real ties to that period, I just find it silly, or overdone, rather. I'm growing tired of it!

    ReplyDelete