Friday, June 26, 2009

Please Please Please


She & Him cover The Smiths' "Please Please Please Let me Get What I want" as many, MANY others have done. (Muse, Tinderbox, etc.) I particularly dislike the She & Him version for her upcoming film "500 Days of Summer".


In the trailer for the film, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is standing in an elevator listening to The Smiths. Zooey Deschanel proclaims her love for the band, and immediately after she exits, he is sure he has found the girl of his dreams. Of course! The Smiths are so completely esoteric that only the perfect girl can love them. Ridiculous, I say.

Listen to the cover (via Stereogum):



While I usually enjoy Zooey Deschanel's voice, I find it to be a bit obnoxious in this version. Recently, I had a conversation with a couple friends about her, and they feel she tries too hard. That is exactly what this version radiates. Morrissey is able to convey his emotions through the song, but it sounds like Zooey Deschanel is merely trying to convey some intense emotion she has due to her horribly tragic indie lifestyle. On a positive note, I do enjoy the classic sound of M.Ward's guitar. However, it is not enough to even slightly compare to the original at all.




Current recording artists, please stop touching this song.
xoxo,
Julie

3 comments:

  1. totally agree--original owns <33 and the question on your profile about the pool and naked kevin jonas made me crackkkkk up! ahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i'm glad you like The Smiths and my answer to that ridiculous question. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes, original own. I totally agree! I love the Smiths and I can't stop listening to them. :)

    ReplyDelete