Thursday, June 18, 2009

Everything is going to the beat

My friend Caitlin and I went to my favorite used media store in Phoenix to see what literary and musical treasures we could find. I purchased several books from the beat generation, a Vonnegut children's book, and a couple other finds I shall save for another time.

Howl by Allen Ginsberg and Junky by William S. Burroughs.

"Howl is considered to be one of the principal works of the Beat Generation along with Jack Kerouac's On the Road (1957) and William S. Burroughs's Naked Lunch (1959)." I already own On the Road and Naked Lunch. I am really looking forward to reading these iconic pieces of literature. It is a real shame that I have not already.



Old Angel Midnight and The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac


Sun Moon Star by Kurt Vonnegut & Ivan Chermayeff

Back Cover: Vonnegut & Chermayeff


Sun Moon Star is a children's book written by Kurt Vonnegut. He is my favorite author, and I was unaware he had anything to do with a book for children. It was illustrated by Ivan Chermayeff, one half of Chermayeff & Geismar, a very influential graphic design team. (Click here to view a few of the logos they designed)

This is written on the sleeve of the book:
"This book is an experiment in making music for the eye rather than the ear. Ivan Chermayeff made the illustrations first, without saying what they meant. Then Kurt Vonnegut wrote words to fit the images he saw. This is a song then, whose music came first. A simple hymn for printing press. Others may find it entertaining to put their own words to Chermayeff's tune."

The book is hilarious! Some images are merely a shooting star, or an entire page that is just the color purple. Vonnegut utilizes his usual brilliant satire to tell the story of baby Jesus and his view of the world as soon as he enters it. I wish I could put the entire thing in this blog post, because it is just dazzling.

I am off to read now. I have not yet decided which to start with, but I shall have several posts regarding these books in the future, I am sure.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read these books, but it looks exciting though.. I loved to hear what you think of them after you've read them..? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. definitely! I'll keep you posted :)

    ReplyDelete